Rules and regulations
To ensure that all scores and times on this website are legit, a few simple rules need to be put in place. Most of these can be broken by the persistent cheater and this website is largely built around good faith; be good!
Only one account per person is allowed. Do not submit runs using alternate accounts.
Breaking any of our community rules in a video submitted to MossRanking will be banned from MossRanking. Rules include but are not limited to:
- 1) No discrimination or hate speech will be tolerated at all. This includes racism, sexism, and homophobia. No racial or sexist slurs.
- 2) No spamming or threats at another member of the Spelunky Discord server.
- 3) No graphic material or discussion is allowed. This includes pornographic content.
- Adventure mode, Unseeded unless otherwise specified.
- No daily challenges for non-daily categories. As the seeds of daily challenges can be worked out, we allow only runs in the ordinary play mode. Please include in your video proof either the main menu or previous run's death.
- Only solo runs. Unless specified otherwise in the category description, only solo Adventure runs starting in 1-1 are allowed.
- Pausing. Pausing during an In Game Time (IGT) run can impose advantages to the player that take away from the spirit of speedrunning Spelunky. There are many gray areas when it comes to pausing and due to this, pausing is looked at in a case by case basis. Pausing in an IGT speedrun may lead to a penalty to the final time or removal of the run, at the discretion of the MossRanking team. In the case of a time penalty, a time greater than or equal to the total amount of time paused will be applied to the final time.
The following cases of using pauses are examples that will potentially influence our decision on a time penalty or run removal.
- - Pausing for strategic purposes (i.e. planning movements or observing the area)
- - Intermittent pauses to slow the timer down and better plan actions
- - Pauses to clear the level feeling text
- - Excessive pausing
The following examples do not cover all cases but are listed to give an idea of what to avoid when pausing during a run. As a side note, waiting during a level transition in an IGT run is not considered pausing. Pausing in score run and RTA categories is allowed.
- No hacks. All hacks that change the game code to make the game easier for the player are disallowed. On the other hand, tampering with the save file to manipulate which characters are locked/unlocked is allowed. If you want to be the safe side, just stick to vanilla Spelunky.
- All mods will be banned for Spelunky 2 to start. It is easier to pull back restrictions than to put them on later so this is to be safe at first before we figure out what mods will be ok for competitive runs.
- Audio Proof Standards. The top 10 runs in a category require in-game sounds. Music can be muted.
- Video Proof Standards. The top 10 runs in a category require "passable" video quality. This will be judged more case by case as it is hard to set hardline rules for all the variables in video, but good rules to keep in mind to ensure verification are:
- - Full capture of the entire game
- - No cropping mistakes
- - Consistent FPS above 24
- - Overlays such as webcam are allowed, however, please avoid covering in game timer or HUD.
- - Overlays such as trackers should have transparency if possible.
- - An excessive number of frame drops may cause the run to be invalidated
- Console / Version Differences. All retail versions allowed.
Acknowledgement of Rules
All run submissions in the future will require acknowledging that you read the rules and that you agree that the run is in accordance with the rules.
Verification Edge Cases
- - If a run did not qualify for the top 10 of a category but is later moved to the top 10 (such as in the case of a player deleting their runs) the run will need to undergo the verification process if it has not already in order to qualify for the new ranking.
- - To avoid verification problems arising such as audio becoming muted due to copyright, it is encouraged to store a local recording of the run at least until the run becomes "Verified"
- - In certain circumstances, a run that is "Verified" can later be unverified if new evidence is discovered that would make the run unverified. However, circumstances outside of the runners control such as a run losing its audio due to copyright is not something that would make the run lose verified status.
To summarize, if you are aiming to get runs in the top 10 of any category you will want to ensure you follow the video and audio standards and avoid any mods other than Spelunker skin and music mods.